Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving--go bananas!


Happy Thanksgiving! Go Bananas!

If there's one thing I love about Thanksgiving, it's knowing that everyone is in sync--eating, drinking, laughing or feeling lonely all together as one. Wherever we are, there's a place for us and there's someone doing exactly what we are doing on that day. Thanksgiving Day is that special day when we eat, drink, sleep, or cook too much but it's only one day, so it's okay to "go bananas!"

On Thanksgiving Day, we are never alone. If feeling alone, we can change our thinking and focus on the little things--even if it's one little thing--that we're grateful for. Thanksgiving Day is a time set aside to boost the economy while giving thanks. It's one more time during the year that we are forced to take time to show gratitude. The government loves it, retailers love it and family members love it. But whether with friends, family, traveling, or home alone, we all have a reason to celebrate Thanksgiving Day.

On Thanksgiving Day, I watch the MACYS Thanksgiving Day parade while preparing dinner. I usually bake desserts the day before, so all I have is the meats, veggies and bread/rolls  to worry about. Whether I have guests or dine alone, I try to bake a dish that I especially like (even if no one else does), and I also try a new recipe, something that will make others "go bananas."  After I finish cooking, I dress for dinner. Then I sit down and relax with a diet Pepsi or a glass of red wine. After a bit of TV or conversation, I serve dinner. I used to wash dinner afterwards, but now I hide them in the dishwasher until the end of the day.

Nowadays, I keep my table set--a table for two. If I'm alone, I feel that someone I love is sitting across from me and sharing my joy.  It's just my imagination, I know, but if I'm alone, I don't feel lonely when my table is set for two. Thanksgiving Day is no different. Of course, as I'm cooking,  I'll get a phone call or two and I'll make a few phone calls before the day is complete, just to wish someone Happy Thanksgiving, but whether I'm alone or with guests, Thanksgiving Day is spent focusing on what's happening at my address.
With the focus on family and friends, holidays can make us happy or sad, depending on our state of mind. When the holiday season comes around, people celebrate, so it would be nice to share it with others, but some of us don't have friends and family close by. That's when it helps to make a list of things to do.
There are at least ten (10) things to do on Thanksgiving Day.
  • Pamper yourself.
  • Find something special to be grateful for.
  • Watch football on tv.
  • Watch the MACYS Thanksgiving Day Parade.
  • Phone family or friends.
  • Bake something special.
  • Stay safe.
  • Know that it's okay to feel alone.
  • Celebrate the magic of you.
  • Offer a prayer of thanks to your higher power.
People enjoy many lifestyles, but holidays can make us question the way we live. Thanksgiving Day is for all of us because if we're living and able to laugh, we have something to be thankful for. If you're not feeling excited or if you feel saddened by this holiday, make a list of things to be thankful for or follow the one above. Whatever you do, celebrate and be grateful, and if the spirit moves you, "go bananas!"

No comments:

Post a Comment