Saturday, December 19, 2015

Story-telling can make a difference. One of my favorite stories is found in a poem.

I have learned that story-telling  can make a difference, whether listening to someones story or telling stories of our own.  If world history was told in stories rather than as a list of events, wouldn't it be more interesting? 


One of my favorite stories is found in a poem. The setting of the poems is a wooded path in the wintertime. Maybe the snow is just starting to fall or maybe it continues to fall. The speaker is wistful but committed to promises already made. For a moment, the speaker is thinking about what he is doing and what he might like to do. There are two characters in the story and one seems to be questioning the other's actions. Then comes the moment of truth.


The following poem is memorable because it is musical, it is relevant to anyone, and it contains part of a story. Most important of all, its message is inspiring. I hope you enjoy reading the poem as much as I do, especially in the wintertime. Happy Holidays!



"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.


The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment