Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Do something for somebody quick!



Do something for somebody quick!

People suffering PTSD and depression tend to forget about others as they struggle with their own symptoms and problems in life, but the easiest way to feel better is to think of someone else, no matter how distressed you feel. You might want to donate, volunteer, or offer to wash a neighbor's car. You might see someone in distress and offer to help. You might even offer a community resource if you know that you won't cause offense.

As a child, whenever I felt sad, I went to the library, read a bit, and checked out a book of poems. My favorite was Best Loved Poems of the American People, published back in 1938 or so. The following poem is an excerpt. What follows the poem is food for thought. PTSD and depression can be tackled without medication, but not without reaching out to others...


#1 How to be happy
Are you almost disgusted with life, little man?
I'll tell you a wonderful trick
that will bring you contentment, if anything can
Do something for somebody, quick!

Are you awfully tired with play, little girl?
Wearied, discouraged, and sick-
I'll tell you the loveliest game in the world,
Do something for somebody quick!

Though it rains like the rain of the flood, little man
and the clouds are forbidding and thick,
You can make the sun shine in your soul, little man
Do something for somebody, quick!

Though the stars are like brass overhead, little girl,
and the walks like a well-heated brick
and our earthly affairs in a terrible whirl,
Do something for somebody, quick!

It only takes a minute to save or lose a life. You never know when you're staring in the face of someone who's just about given up. It takes participation from all of us to recognize and support someone in distress. Suicide prevention is no longer a personal matter, and emotional disorders that lead to suicide are no longer stigmatized and private affairs. "If you see something, say something." It might mean a lifetime of difference for someone.

And one more thing: Happiness always follows a good deed, if only for a moment, but that's how we live anyway--moment to moment one day at a time. - (c) M.D.Johnson (2012)

5 comments:

  1. Hi, My name is Jeannette Moreno
    You send me your invite to this blog through LinkedIn about 2 days ago.
    I read your blogs and I must say~ I never heard anyone describe PTSD the way you have. I have been diagnosed with this disorder since December of 2001, It was right after the September 11 attacks~I was there. I had already been suffering from domestic violence abuse and that alone was traumatic for me.

    Both of my children are also suffering from PTSD, My daughter age 21, & my son 13, until today they are in need of physiological therapy~ unfortunately for my daughter she has not been able to receive any more services since the age of 18 because she is not qualified for any medical benefits in the state we live in, the amount of money they are asking for her to go on a program it's too much and not affordable at all. She was denied SSI 4 times as well. Yet I have been working and paying taxes since I was 16.
    My daughter experienced the the physical and verbal assaults against me by her father as well as receiving some of the punishments herself for defending me. Not only is she PTSD but also Bipolar as well as legally blind on her right eye, my story can go on forever, (I have a second book coming out it talks about all this, it will be published May this year).

    Until today we have not been able to recover from our PTSD and for the children that part seams to be a little harder to shake off.We survived domestic violence and from that we have healed, we have moved on and are happier not living in a world of abuse any longer. Abuse still out there and I am working hard to spread the word for my children, and for everyone who can not fight for themselves.
    ~I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your beautiful words, they are inspiring, and I know you will inspire many people. I know that you have open up my eyes~ and I will see things the way you do from now on, regarding PTSD, I can now help my kids see it through your eyes as well.
    ~I want to wish you good luck on your journey, continue doing what you are doing and God Bless you.
    ~I look forward to reading more..

    Jeannette Moreno ~Author/Writer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannette, Thanks for your support and for joining in. There are places where you can find help for your family but you might want to begin with any free family counseling in your home town, which I'm sure must be available.But firstly, are you in a safe place? Check for resources in your area. Being out of harm's way is the first step to recovery from PTSD and other types of emotional trauma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I too remember the poem from the book you have listed, and this is a favourite to bring up my spirits time and again. Bipolar yet somewhat stable with long time medication I live and care for others as well. Yes this poem is a powerful trick...do something for somebody quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you are doing well. I don't know how I missed your comment--learning my way around the blog site at the time, I suppose. What the poem says really does work because it lets us know that we are not alone & that others may be just as challenged as we are. So I'm glad you like this poem and that you agree, the formula works. Peace & much love..

      Delete
  4. My Mom had "The Best Loved Poems Of The American People" in her library when I was a young girl, and I read it often. Do Something For Somebody Quick was one of my favorite poems. I've quoted it's wisdom many times. I shared your blog today on a Facebook post dealing with PTSD.

    ReplyDelete