Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter

Like many holidays, Easter is a tough time for some people who have no one to spend the day with. Our society used to be a place where neighbors invited you over for barbecue or saved you a dinner plate if you had little or no family, but that was so long ago it almost seems like a fairy tale. I remember when it happened, but it's a foggy memory.

I don't celebrate most holidays for different reasons, but this year, I somehow found myself caught up in the razmatazz of it all--shopping, eating, drinking, etc. By the time I realized how much I had eaten, I fell into a state of remorse, and all of the negative self-talk began to kick in--"You're already overweight," (I'm not.) By now, I know how to recognize negative self-talk and usually,I don't open the front door to let it in. Today was different.

Remember the horror movies? There are rules when it comes to haunted houses. If you hear a knock at the door, don't open the door to let the evil spirits enter in. The same goes for negative thoughts. When they come knocking at your door--"knock-knock/who's there?" Drop & STOP them right at the door. That's what I did yesterday, once I realized what was going on. But before I stopped myself, here's the scenario:

I had talked to my daughter who was supposed to come and visit but the whole thing started turning into a circus & the plan was turned upside down. I became stressed & then saddened, so I started eating Ritz crackers, cookies, chocolate creme pie, and other unnecessary carbs before noon. Then I took myself to lunch, dinner, and drinks. I even did some mall shopping just before the stores closed. Afterwards, I headed to the all-night grocery store for some brie cheese, crackers, and a nice bottle of wine. Once I got home, I was too exhausted to put anything away. There it all sat--boxes of shoes and a few other items. Then there were the dishes to be placed in the dish washer. I looked at the mess, and linked it to the mess that I felt I was. My stomach seemed to have doubled in size, and I suffered indigestion because of the strange mix of foods I had consumed.

I started feeling depressed thinking about the mess in the kitchen and and how I didn't have anyone to spend Easter with. Of course, I don't celebrate Easter, but still, the negative thoughts we telling me that I should, despite all else. That's suddenly realized I was ruminating over past behavior and I needed to move on. I looked myself in the mirror just to admire my smile, which didn't come so easily. Then I started building up the person I am. I told myself: "You don't do Easter, remember?" Finally, I created a mantra of sorts: "Those who do, do holidays. Those who don't, head to the beach!" And that's exactly what I did.

I drove 15 minutes to discover one of the most beautiful beaches that I've seen in the USA. I ordered Cole slaw, hush puppies, and fried oysters (love 'em) and found a table on what seemed the pier that stretched to the ends of the earth. After watching the seagulls compete for crumbs being tossed their way and watching sea birds create formations while flying overhead, I started to focus on the natural beauty of pristine waters, gentle winds and the warm sunlight. Afterwards, I felt inspired enough to explore another oceanfront town and discovered another beautiful beach. Just seeing the people walking--families, couples, and singles--sun-bathing, throwing Frisbees, fishing or sitting alone overlooking the beach made me feel right at home. T

I ended the day with a smile on my face, and I don't smile as much as I will some day. But today, I came home smiling about my adventurous spirit, my ability to explore on my own with our without a partner, and my appreciation for nature in her purest sense. With something so simple as a smile, I kicked negative thinking in the shins and shut the door! Next time, I won't bother to let the evil spirits in, because not everyone celebrates holidays or not everyone has someone to share it with. The secret is being okay with or without having someone to share the holiday with.

No comments:

Post a Comment