Monday, May 12, 2014

Hide or die? -   II

When faced with emotional challenges, many people hide their symptoms, mask their emotions, or choose prescription drugs and other "quick-fix" solutions, but self-medicating practices do not address the underlying emotional stress. Psychologists agree, emotions must be expressed, and talk therapy is best. However, writing/reflection is another way to express thoughts and feelings and come out of hiding.

Emotional turmoil and unexpressed emotions can fuel negative thoughts that lead to emotional disorders like PTSD and depression. Emotional disorders are caused by a combination of factors interacting together and they rarely disappear on their own, so some type of intervention is usually necessary. Keeping a journal of thoughts and feelings provides valuable information for determining symptoms and treatment, but the act of writing also allows for self-expression and emotional strength-building.The purpose of this blog is to provide a space for sharing thoughts and information about how to overcome negativity and build emotional competence. 

 

The focus of this blog continues to be emotional strength-building through writing and discussion, but the focus will be changing to some extent. In the future, when I blog (about once a week),  I will sometimes offer writing prompts to encourage self-expression and reflection. I will continue sharing stories of survival, asking questions, and relying on you to share ideas on this site or via email. By your request, I am also able to provide confidential commentary on your writings at http://www.emomastery.com. 

 

Thanks for following this blog site! Feel free to explore this site and reread any earlier entries. If you so desire, please share your thoughts on any present or prior blog post or topic and let me know if you would like your commentary publicized. I offer commentary via email and will publicize your commentary ONLY by your request. Your privacy is assured. I also look forward to hearing about challenges you faced and overcame or have yet to overcome.


About me: Unless otherwise indicated, all entries on this blog site are authored by Emme H. Johnson.  For the sake of your privacy, I only follow your blogs if you follow mine. I am a poet/writer, workshop developer,  licensed secondary education teacher, and prior college instructor with more than 20 years full-time teaching experience. I am certified in emotional intelligence learning systems. More important, I am a survivor of post-traumatic-stress disorder (PTSD). I once thought 9/11 would be the end of all joy and happiness, but despite our tremendous loss, it became a new place to begin.

 

For more information, you can send me a private email via http://www.emomastery.com. Leave a phone number if you wish to be phoned. I look forward to hearing from you. Follow me @emomastery or @survivingaday. Thanks for stopping by. Thanks for following!

Emme H. Johnson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment