Thursday, February 23, 2017

How would you spend your last day on earth?

Someone somewhere asked this question: "How would you spend your last day on earth?" I thought for a second but it didn't take long before my muse responded. What follows is not a poem, but with some poetic restructuring, it could become a prose poem. Here's what I was inspired to write:

If today was my last day on earth, I'd spend it with family, teaching them how to pray in my final moments, telling them stories my mother told me, explaining how important it is to be free because being owned by anyone in any form or fashion, living in fear of being hurt or exposed, is like living on borrowed air, which would be a travesty because there is nothing sweeter than fresh air. I would share the importance of Nature-- wolves and tulips--and people. I would share words of Emily Dickinson: "Tell all the truth but tell it slant/ Success in circuit lies..." I would teach them to be proud because there is no one on earth born with their particular gifts, so the trick is to be proud of your gifts and cling to those who appreciate you. I would tell them to listen to people and sounds of Nature more than they speak and to ask the right questions. Then, we'd have oxtails, curry goat, empanadas, coconut cream pie, listen to great music and dance until I was ready for sleep & prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment