Saturday, September 13, 2014

What I learned about listening


What I learned about listening

When you don't listen, I feel I am boring.
When you don't listen, I wonder what you are thinking.
When you don't listen, I feel disheveled and unkempt.
When you don't listen, I want to comb my hair.

When you don't listen, I wonder who you'd prefer to see.
When you don't listen, I feel your mind is made up about me.
When you don't listen, I feel you don't care what I think.
When you don't listen, I feel you don't care what I have to say.
When you don't listen, I doubt you could understand.
When you don't listen, I feel marginalized.
When you don't listen, I feel unappealing.

When you don't listen, I feel undermined.
When you don't listen, I feel incompetent.
When you don't listen, I feel invisible.
When you don't listen, I feel threatened.
When you don't listen, I feel disrespected.
When you don't listen, I feel isolated and alone.

When you don't listen, I get a stomach ache.
When you don't listen, I want to eat a bag of chips.
When you don't listen, I want to drink something bad.
When you don't listen, I want to run and hide.
When you don't listen, my brain plays tricks on me.
When you don't listen, I believe negative thoughts.
When you don't listen, I doubt that you care.

When you don't listen, I think you dislike me.
When you don't listen, I'm scared to look in your eyes.
When you don't listen, I want to make you see me,
    so I think of passive-aggressive ways 

                            to erase you.

But...when you listen and look me in the eyes
    I feel inspired.

    I feel interesting.
    I learn more about myself.
    I feel good about myself.
    I feel more secure knowing I have something to give.   
When you listen, I learn more about you, too.
When you listen, I think you find me intriguing.

When you listen, I think you're beautiful.

(c) M.D. Johnson (2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment